News from Baghdad

A small spot to describe to a certain extent what it is like for the soldiers here in Iraq. I must remain anonymous as there may be some who would view this as an "official" posting, however, it is not. Just some personal views on the politics and public views in this war that has been to oftentimes tainted by the sensationalism of the media.

Name:
Location: Home, United States

I enjoy my job to the fullest, regardless of the political climate at any particular time. My family and my soldiers are the central focal point of my existence as well as my religious viewpoints.

Saturday, December 11, 2004

11 December 2004

To all of my faithful readers, my thoughts go out to everyone this evening as I being to prepare for another long week ahead. Days seem to run together anymore and I didn't realize that it had been so long since I had posted. My apologies. I can keep track of the dates, it seems, however the DAYS are what get me. Sunday, Monday, etc., they are all the same. This past nine months has seemed like one long day. The weekend cannot seem to come soon enough.
As it draws to the time where I will soon leave here. My thoughts focus on what life will be like away from here. I will miss certain people, certain places (although not many), and the times that I have shared with the men of my platoon. The leadership, comraderie, morale, friendship and togetherness is almost familial in nature. I cannot say enough about the leadership that we have in this command. As I believe I have stated before, yes, there are those who you would just love to see leave, however, overall, the men we have commanding, leading and directing this unit are some of the best I have ever had the pleasure and opportunity to serve with. When we re-deploy, I am sure that many of these men will go on to different things, different duties and postings, however, they will always remain with me as being some of the best officers and Non-Commissioned Officers that the Army has to offer. Many of them have common sense and the ability to lead men in battle, with the technical and tactical knowledge needed for the fight. The comraderie amongst my fellow bretheren in arms in this platoon, is something that I really did not expect. I knew that we would be closer than we were before we deployed, however, I did not expect the brotherly bonds which has been eveident in many of my young men in this squad and in this platoon. The respect, discipline and dedication to one another is a beautiful sight to behold. When these men are doing their jobs, or just taking a load off in the barracks, they are always together, watching each other, talking with one another. I have seen very few arguments and fights among these fine young soldiers, which is surprising to say the least. Yes there is the odd disagreement, however, it is not to such a scale as to hamper operations here in Baghdad.


I wish to thank some of the American public who have dedicated some of their time and resources to ensure that the men here feel that they are thought about during the holidays. There have been many packages sent from places like Florida, Georgia, Ohio, Missouri, and Texas, with candy, cookies and other things for the soldiers here. Everything is greatly appreciated and my personal thanks goes out to those who have had a hand in any of it. Even the cards and letters showing support and holiday wishes to the men who are so far away from their loved ones, gives us the feeling that we know that someone is thinking about us this season.
Everyone is doing well here. I have a few men on leave, which is great. I was looking forward to having at least one or two of them at home to spend Christmas with their families. One of them has a young daughter that he has seen very little of before we came here. I am happy that he was able to go home to see her.


I often think about what I would like to do for my men this Christmas. I often wonder what I give them. I have come to the realization that there is not much that I can give to them, so therefore, I have decided that the best thing that I can do for them is bring them all home safe. That is all I ask for. I don't ask for anything else this year except to have my men safe, at home with their loved ones, their wives, mothers, fathers, children, brothers and sisters when we leave this country. Anything else is extra. Just bring them home.


God bless each and every one of you. Until next time.

13 Comments:

Blogger pacos_gal said...

I think that maybe that is one of the special gifts that a soldier brings back with him from war, the bond that develops between those who work together closely for long periods of time in a dangerous situation. When you look back at what soldiers from previous wars have written, that is one of the things that they all have in common. I read a book that is excerts from letters written home during WWI and throughout the entire book, the troops wrote home of those they worked with, tried to keep safe and all mentioned that they cared the most about the safety and well being of those they served with.
I hope you all come home safely to your loved ones.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Paulette1537 said...

I wanted to say thank you. Thank you for protecting our country and our freedom. Thank you for sacrificing your holidays with your family so that we may have ours. Thank you for your courage, your honor and for being all that an American stands for. Bless your heart.

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it is one week before Christmas Eve. My Christmas wish is that each and every soldier come home safe. I know that each and every one of you have your own way of celebrating the holidays and that this year, those traditions will be broken. I want you to know that the lights on my tree, burn for you. I am a military wife of a deployed soldier and as I go through the motions of the season, there is something missing. To each and every soldier and family member, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Thank you soldiers, for giving us the freedom to celebrate. You are here in spirit and you are loved by all of us!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Pat in NC said...

It is Christmas Eve in NC and I want to wish you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I want to thank you and the troops you lead for the willingness to serve our nation. Please pass my greeting on to those with you and let them know they are thought of and prayed for by an old woman in NC who doesn't know them but holds them in her heart.

6:36 PM  
Blogger RightwingSparkle said...

Just dropping in from Mudville to wish you a very Merry Christmas. God bless you and keep you safe!

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for serving and defending our country. Hope your Christmas is a safe and merry one. Please tell all that we support you and want you home soon and safe.
God Bless!
SgtMgr

1:28 PM  
Blogger pacos_gal said...

Happy holidays Jay. Hope you have a safe holiday season.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jay, why haven't you posted lately? I miss hearing from you. I fell in love with you almost a year ago and my feelings have grown. Please, come home to me soon!

1:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the blog - cam cancun web. A new site has been launched with plenty of bargain holidays to choose from. Bookmark http://www.bargainplace.co.uk not just for bargain holidays but for flights and transport to and from airports plus travel insurance deals and holiday clothes.

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the blog - star cruise. A new site has been launched with plenty of bargain holidays to choose from. Bookmark http://www.bargainplace.co.uk not just for bargain holidays but for flights and transport to and from airports plus travel insurance deals and holiday clothes.

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article! Thanks.

12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for interesting article.

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by counter.bloke.com
Google
http://www.aakz.com/kerry/viewthread.php?tid=6