News from Baghdad

A small spot to describe to a certain extent what it is like for the soldiers here in Iraq. I must remain anonymous as there may be some who would view this as an "official" posting, however, it is not. Just some personal views on the politics and public views in this war that has been to oftentimes tainted by the sensationalism of the media.

Name:
Location: Home, United States

I enjoy my job to the fullest, regardless of the political climate at any particular time. My family and my soldiers are the central focal point of my existence as well as my religious viewpoints.

Thursday, November 11, 2004

11 November 2004

Hello to Jay's readers it's the "Wife" again. I have given a lot of thought about writting this Blog since I received a very disturbing phone call late yesterday evening, to which kept me awake all night. And by no means am I taking away from anyother soldiers death by writing this blog.
But I found out one of Jays young soldiers(under 25) who now serves in another Company(but still side-by-side as brothers in arms) was killed shortly after Jays return to Iraq. This soldier has been part of our lives for almost as long as we have been here at this duty station. Jay has helped this soldier and his family(as he has with many not just one) when times were hard and he needed guidance, Jay was a mentor a moderator, a mediator, brother, father and friend when needed. They joked around and played pratical jokes on each other when they were bored and had nothing to do when they had long work days or were out in the field. We have watched this soldier climb 2 ranks and was ready for the third. He leaves behind a beautiful wife and three children under the age of 5. He was an outstanding "Soldier", "Father" and "Husband" and will be missed by many.
This has been the hardest week for me as a 25 year Army Wife since Jay has been gone, and not just because I had to stand in the airport last week with about 15 other wives with tears running down all our faces, eyes puffy, blowing noses in whst seemed to be a million tissues and saying "SO-LONG" (never good-bye) for now for the second time in less than a year.
The fierce fighting, the unknown, the uncertainty, the waiting, the wondering. Jumping if the phone rings and the caller ID says "UNKNOWN" or "OUT OF AREA" and not wanting to answer it for fear of who maybe on the other end and what they may have to tell me. If no one comes to my door dressed in a military uniform I have had great day.
But this hits so close to home, when you hear of other soldiers dying, you think to yourself Oh NO! how sad for their families. But this wakes you up, shakes you up and scares the living hell out of you to know this person was fighting so close to your husband and bullets, bombs or RPG's don't have names on them, it could have been Jay just as easily as it was this soldier or any one else for that matter. I don't know where in Baghdad this happened, I don't know any deatails of how it happened, none of that matters now, it can't be changed. The sad fact is that it happened at all!
I still have not had any direct contact with Jay since I kissed him just before he walked down the ramp to boarded the plane last week.
The only thing I do know is how I have felt inside since I found out about this, I can see this soldiers wife as I talked to her the day they left many months ago with a baby in the stroller and the other 2 little ones toddling along beside her, the tears in her eyes...all puffy from hours of crying. I took her in my arms and gave her a big hug and whispered in her ear "It's going to be alright!" I'll be here if you need me, call me at anytime day or night. Now I choke on these words I said to her! I feel so bad for her as a young wife now a young widow!
I have been a military wife for 25 yrs, I don't stand behind Jay and support him and his soldiers I proudly stand "BESIDE" him and I support him as well as his guys and their families. We wives are a sisterhood, it takes a special breed of woman to become a military wife and maintain a military marriage and family. I worry just as much about his soldiers as I do Jay and my own children.
My oldest daughter is 24 has 2 children and her husband is in the Army, and yes he's in Iraq too, I fear getting a call from her informing me something has happened to him. I have a son serving in Korea, that may be going to Iraq sometime next year. So I'm no stranger to any of this and I thank God that all of our family has been safe so far, but my heart still goes out the the young military wives.
I can not imagine how she feels right now and I won't pretend too. I will be here for her, as will her family and his family but the thought goes to the children and how this will effect them, the oldest loved to wrestle with his Dad, he was his hero. I have such a heavy heart and much sadness in it right now. I know that Jay is taking this very very hard, this was one of his "BOYS" as he calls them and they are just that! Each and everyone of his soldiers.
So please say a special prayer for this family and all of the other families who have lost loved ones. And for the wonderful soldiers who are fighting so vigialntly in this war to keep us safe and free. And Thank-You to all of the readers and Americans who stand behind and support these soldiers. Just reading your comments and knowning that you care and have concern bring the morale up 100%.

Thank-you all for reading the ramblings of a worried Army Wife!
Until the next Blog
God Bless and Stay Safe
Wife waiting at home.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post was heartwrenching. My thoughts and prayers are being sent to this soldier's wife and family, as well as you and your family. My son is in Iraq and is due home in two weeks for R&R. He is 1st ID and his tour will end in March next year. The last nine months have been difficult to say the least. I have searched for soldier blogs and bookmarked several (including this one), as reading them makes me feel somewhat connected to what my son may be experiencing and will not discuss with me. God Bless Us All.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll keep this young widow and her children in my prayers, as well as all the brave soldiers still fighting. Thank you for sharing this with us, and for sharing your family members who fight to keep us safe and free.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're proud of you and love you so much for the burden you bear for our sake and the sake of those in other places who need to be rescued. Our prayers are with you. I will be praying that God makes His presence very real and comforting to you and the widow and your families is this time of struggle.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, I thank you and your family for my family I have two teenage sons and I try every day to make them aware of the sacrifices your husband and sons are going thru for them. Without those sacrifice they would not have the freedom that they at times take for granted.
God Bless You and may Michael the arch angel watch after your men and the men they stand beside

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How sad..I am so sorry and send my deepest sympathy to this Soldiers family..esspecially his Wife and children..what a terrible tragedy.
((((((((hugs))))))))))
I used to think "I dont know what I'd do if someone I knew,let alone loved was over there..I cry watching the news as it is now!"..and now 1 yr later..not only do I know someone over there..but I care for them very much..and I cant imagine what it would feel like to recieve such a phone call..I dread it all the time.
I cant imagine what she is going through right now,what she will go through and her young kids...The thought of it brings me to tears.
I do know how you feel not hearing from someone since you kissed them and watched them walk to the plane....it is extremely hard,even when you havent been together 25 yrs,or even know them for that long!
Its still a piece of you going..Prayer is all that can get you through most of the time.
Heres to Hope and Faith. Courage and Strength for anyone and everyone who has gone through this situation and other hard times like it.
Thank you for updating us.Prayers and Hugs for you,your family and this dear soldier and his family as well.
God Bless

3:58 AM  
Blogger pacos_gal said...

What a horrible week. The good byes to the unknown and now a terrible certainty come true.

It is always a tough job being a military wife, (been there) but one of the rewards is getting to help a young family on the start of their journey in the military. Most of the time it is so hard for the young wives who have recently left their homes and families to travel around the world with their husbands. A senor NCO's wife, often becomes the mother they miss, the sister, the friend, so many things, a lifeline when the times are tough and the evenings lonely. You become one family. How the hearts of the entire "family" must be breaking now.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, your feelings, your fears with all of us. To do what you do, you must be a special lady and Jay a special guy to get you. You and your family are in our prayers and the young wife, whose world had changed so drastically I hope can find the strength inside to make it through this.

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no words to describe the emotions for me right now..my daughter loves someone who is in Iraq right now..and the pain she has felt has nearly killed me as a mom because I cant fix it like moms do. You are a brave woman and I am sure an insperation to all who know you personaly and to all who read this blog.Prayers said for this family..and for yours as well.
I hope you hear from Jay soon!
Connie

9:23 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I have a very close friend who is about to go back over there. He's only 25 and this is not his first time being deployed. It hurts enough to have a FRIEND leaving; I can only imagine if it were my HUSBAND over there. You have the kind of strength and courage I can only dream of. I pray for your husband, and all of our other troops, every day. Thank you.

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jay's Wife, Thank you for your posting. Our family prays for you, Jay and everyone in harms way. Thank you both for sharing your lives with us, Iraq is no longer too far away. I was an army wife in the 70's and remember that stress and worry, his leaving for Germany. My leaving later to join him in Germany. At least I was close to him. May God fill you with love and calmness and courage anew each morning. Our family will continue to pray for you, for Jay and all involved. Remember the heart land of this country is with you all. Mary Ann

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugs, kisses and many tears for you and yours. My prayers are with all of our military sons and daughters and especially for families that have lost a loved one.

5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adding my prayers for God's comforting presence for you and your young friend, that she might trust in God and draw strength from his word. We know nothing catchs God by surprise, and I always think of 2nd Corinthians chapter 5;...."that mortality might be swallowed up of life". Trusting they are believers and saved. God Bless you as you bear the burdens you do, courageously lending of your husband for the fight against evil and the protection of the U.S.A. Thankyou for the great giving your family is doing for us all.

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for what you are experiencing right now. No words can take away the hurt. I think of the soldier's wife and how each morning when she awakens she has to face the reality once again of what has happened. My prayers are with her and the family and for all of you as you walk through this time of grief. I will be praying specifically for Jay and those fighting alongside him. While many prayers are said every day and night, on Tuesday evenings I join with others to pray for our troops and what is taking place in Iraq. I have come to have great admiration for our military families and the sacrifices you make. Thank you.

1:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy does this mirror the thoughts I have every day. My son is a platoon leader in 1st Battalion, 5th Infantry. I pray not only for his safety, but for the soldiers he leads. I know taht to lose any one of them would be terrible for him, and their safety means almost as much to me as his own does. I hope that this conflict can be resolved soon so the Iraqis can live peacefully and our soldiers can come home.

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your service and your sacrifice. May God bless you and your family, and of course the young soldier's wife and family, and all of our servicemen and women around the world in harm's way. I pray that the world will soon know peace, and that our people can come home.

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ##NAME##, I was looking for Accurate Psychic Reading related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a Accurate Psychic Reading site. You can get an honest and informative reading to help you find your soul mate or lost loved one. You can also get info on numerology and astrology. Check it out when you can :-)

If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.

5:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article! Thanks.

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for interesting article.

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by counter.bloke.com
Google
http://www.aakz.com/kerry/viewthread.php?tid=6