News from Baghdad

A small spot to describe to a certain extent what it is like for the soldiers here in Iraq. I must remain anonymous as there may be some who would view this as an "official" posting, however, it is not. Just some personal views on the politics and public views in this war that has been to oftentimes tainted by the sensationalism of the media.

Name:
Location: Home, United States

I enjoy my job to the fullest, regardless of the political climate at any particular time. My family and my soldiers are the central focal point of my existence as well as my religious viewpoints.

Thursday, November 18, 2004

18 November 2004

Good evening, or should I say, good morning to everyone. It has been a very rough time since I have returned, as you all know. My wife has kept you posted as much as she could, and did a rather good job of it too.

As you all know, I lost a very good friend of mine last week. I will not go into the particulars of it at this time, however, suffice it to say, that yesterday was a really hard day for me. The memorial for him was held along with another soldier we lost in the battalion a few days following my friend. The hardest part for me, was as we filed out of the chapel, we came to attention, saluted the empty boots, lone rifle, dog-tags and helmet there on the stage. As I stood there, I began to cry like a little child, knowing that my friend and fellow soldier was gone. As I stood there, I thought of the times that we spent together, on the same tank crew, in the field, training, or when he would be at my house for dinner or asking advice. He was a great soldier and just wouldn't give in. To know that he was mortally wounded, get up, begin to fire his weapon to protect his fellow soldiers and friends is the true mark of a soldier. He gave his all, so others could live and continue the fight. He will always be remembered as a good friend, a great soldier and a comrade in arms. He was a true Cavalryman in every sense of the word. God bless his family and take him in Your arms for now into eternity. Goodbye my friend.

7 Comments:

Blogger pacos_gal said...

They say as long as you have the memories, they will always be a part of you. I think that is true.
My familes thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. Take care.

3:20 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

This post just breaks my heart. I'm so sorry.

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Sounds like he was a real hero; a lot of those coming out of the USA lately. I'll say an extra prayer to help you get through the loss.
Take care, and remember we are ever grateful for your service.
Anthony

6:04 PM  
Blogger Pat in NC said...

My sympathy to you and to the family of this brave hero.
I too shed tears just reading about the loss of one of many good people. Thank you for what you do for us. May God grant you the strength to carry on knowing that you have touched many hearts with your writing. God bless you and keep you safe.

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article! Thanks.

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for interesting article.

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by counter.bloke.com
Google
http://www.aakz.com/kerry/viewthread.php?tid=6