News from Baghdad

A small spot to describe to a certain extent what it is like for the soldiers here in Iraq. I must remain anonymous as there may be some who would view this as an "official" posting, however, it is not. Just some personal views on the politics and public views in this war that has been to oftentimes tainted by the sensationalism of the media.

Name:
Location: Home, United States

I enjoy my job to the fullest, regardless of the political climate at any particular time. My family and my soldiers are the central focal point of my existence as well as my religious viewpoints.

Thursday, November 25, 2004

25 November 2004

First of all I wish to extend a thousand apologies for not posting sooner. Quite a bit has happened since my last post. We are all fine and well, however, there have been a few significant acts since my last writing.

We have had two IEDs (Improvised Explosive Devices) go off on us, one of which caused a minor casualty on one of my soldiers. He is fine now, but it was a close one. Shook us all up for a bit, but these men are good, shook it off, and began to fire, even as we were still assessing the situation. The soldiers of my squad and in this platoon are well trained and they act on that training to the fullest. Every day they make me proud.

As I write this, on this Thanksgiving evening, I am reminded of several things that I am thankful for, especially grateful for things over the past year.

I am reminded of the time last year, when I was informed that I would be coming to this platoon. Many can attest to the fact that I was not happy for the move, as I had many friends in my old company and I was not looking forward to serving with some of the men here. I can tell you this, though; it has been the best move that I could ever have possibly made. I would not want to live, fight, laugh and cry with any other group of men, than the ones I am here with today.

I am thankful for the training and the equipment that we received before, and during this deployment here to Baghdad. Everything has stood us in good stead, and there are many times I cannot imagine life without some of the things that we have.

I am thankful for my family, not only my immediate family, but also my extended family, who have stood beside me this year. It is always good to get letters, cards and packages from home, and those of you reading this; I apologize for not writing more often, thanking you for all that you have done.

I am thankful for friends, both here in Iraq, and Stateside. Friendship is a wonderful thing, that without, I don’t think life would be worth living. I cannot imagine going through one’s existence alone and without someone to care for, or having someone care for you. Would be lonely and without cause for living.

I thank each and every one of you who read these oftentimes jumbled thoughts and words. It has been my wish to get the story of life here as a soldier to the American people and I hope that most of this has been informative.

God bless all of you on this day of Thanksgiving. Remember those who cannot be home for this holiday season, and especially remember those who will never spend another with their loved ones. Remember the fallen. Remember those who have given their all. As the words go to the famous song, “as He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free”, remember those who have given their all so others can be free.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We thank God for you and all of your fellow soldiers. We start each day of our homeschooling in prayer for your safety. Each time my son (7 years old)sees a soldier, we walk up and thank him ....you all make us VERY proud.
May God wrap his angels around you and your team.
The McClains
Macomb, Michigan

3:12 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

As I went through the motions of Thanksgiving here with my family, I was also thinking of all of our military men and women who were not able to be home with theirs. I know many servicepeople were able to get a warm Thanksgiving meal, but I'm sure many others were not. Holidays only reinforce the sacrifice that you all make every day. Thank you, thank you, thank you again.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Spence said...

Jay, Do any of your guys need anything? We sponsor drives here all the time for soldiers in need. I think it would be fantastic if we could "adopt" your platoon and give them a good dose of home.

You can reach me at rob.spencer@gmail.com

Regards,

Rob

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMAZED THAT YOU THINK YOUR MEN WERE ACTING "PROFESSIONALLY"BY OPENING FIRE WHILST STILL ASSESSING THE SITUATION WHAT HAPPENED TO FIRING AIMED SHOTS ONLY....NO WONDER SO MANY INNOCENT CIVILLIANS ARE GETTING KILLED OUT THERE ..LEARN FROM THE BRITS ...THEY HAD 30 YRS OF TERRORISM IN NORTHERN IRELAND (A TERRORIST GROUP..I.R.A./I.N.L.A. LARGELY FUNDED AND HEAVILY SUPPORTED BY AMERICA/AMERICANS...ITS COME BACK TO HAUNT US EH ....

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to put this site up. I've bookmarked it and will be back to spend some more time here.

Check out my thanksgiving tableware related site at http://holiday-stories-and-poetry.com.

John

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the blog - book expedia next vacation. A new site has been launched with plenty of bargain holidays to choose from. Bookmark http://www.bargainplace.co.uk not just for bargain holidays but for flights and transport to and from airports plus travel insurance deals and holiday clothes.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

boy food

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article! Thanks.

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for interesting article.

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by counter.bloke.com
Google
http://www.aakz.com/kerry/viewthread.php?tid=6