News from Baghdad

A small spot to describe to a certain extent what it is like for the soldiers here in Iraq. I must remain anonymous as there may be some who would view this as an "official" posting, however, it is not. Just some personal views on the politics and public views in this war that has been to oftentimes tainted by the sensationalism of the media.

Name:
Location: Home, United States

I enjoy my job to the fullest, regardless of the political climate at any particular time. My family and my soldiers are the central focal point of my existence as well as my religious viewpoints.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

August 28, 2005

Well, it has been a while since I posted, several months actually, so I figured that I would update you on some pertinent things since I wrote.

As you know, I am home now, and I have left the lovely state of Texas and am now currently stationed in Kentucky training soldiers. I am trying to pass on lessons learned during my tenure in Iraq to the best of my ability. Maybe it will save someone.

I am saddened by the news these days. I am upset that people are disgracing my fallen comrades, America's soldiers, at their funerals. I read recently where there was a church group yelling obscenities at soldier's funerals and at their family members saying that God was punishing this country for harboring homosexuals and that is why their sons died. I care not one wit for the opinions of a so called "church" whose members resort to the tactic of berating the grieving family of a fallen soldier who gave his life for those he loved. I see articles in the news and other blog postings remeniscent of the "documentary" (more like travesty) Fahrenheit 9-11. I see where soldiers, soldier's families, friends etc. flame the government of this country and in turn disgracing the memories of their loved ones. Do I see a grieving mother at the ranch in Crawford, Texas? No, I see a disgruntled American citizen who is ravishing in the throes of public attention to publicly grieve for her lost son. I see not a mother who cares for her son or for his comrades in arms. I see a woman who is hell bent on rending this country apart because she lost her son. I would to God that if my mother was in her place, that she would thank God above that her son was now safe with Him. As much as it pains me to see a soldier die, or get injured, it IS our profession. It IS what WE signed on to do. No one made us do this. No one drafted us. We volounteered.

I read another article earlier on about a Sergeant, a Non-Commissioned Officer no less complaining about having no time off, his truck was broken, etc. Well listen here SERGEANT, fix your vehicle, continue your mission the best you can. You are in a war zone. The enemy doesn't take time off...why should we? We are soldiers; hardship is our middle name and a soldier, especially a leader, must make the sacrifice of "time off" to ensure his mission is completed and his men are safe.

I am disheartned by these facts, these soldiers and soldiers families disgracing everything they and their sons and daughters do. There are better ways to remember them. Memorials. Take an ad out in a newspaper. Something other than rend our country apart.

I remember coming home after being deployed and everywhere I turned, someone said thank you. Now, not even 5 months later, it seems every soldier is looked upon with disdain. We answered our country's call. Right or wrong, we answered the call.

I have one question to pose to the reader. Has there been another 9-11 here on American shores since the OEF and OIF campaigns? Think about it. Think about it long and hard. And also remember this...if we, THIS generation were not called to do this NOW...it would be YOUR sons, YOUR daughters, YOUR grandchildren, doing it in the years to come. As long as there are men in this world whose only desire is to control people, there will be war. It is OUR am as the American servicemember that WE continue to remain a free and independant people, free to voice our opinions, but remember, a Soldier gave you that right. A Soldier continues to see that you can exercise that right. A Soldier will continue to safeguard that right. Always.

"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Kipling/Orwell

Good Night and God Bless You and God Bless America

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Army of today is not the Army of yester-year where the soldier who serve, serve freely. They are not trained as they were even 5 yrs ago. They get stress cards so they can take a time out if things get hetic. They are restricted to only doing so much physical training. This is the world we now live in and the soldiers that are now defending our country think that they can goof off, take breaks and still be "IN THE ARMY" well let me tell you something if they were trained as they needed to be and not mothered and babied then the war would be better off. Maybe the soldiers could come home sooner, but of course we have the bureaucracy of our leaders that want to take it easy, thus less training means more deaths and more protest. So I say let's train the soldiers the right way and see how things turn out after that. Stop the pampering, whining and the goofing off be a real soldier, do what you signed the papers for..TO DEFEND YOUR COUNTRY!!!" and if your not happy get out of the ARMY and get out of the USA...I'm sure there is a person out there who would proudly take your place and serve with honor. If you want to see a real soldier, just go back and read Jay's blog...he has fought for our country and his views have opened many eyes. WAR IS HELL people, it's not a party, it's a dirty job! But someone has to do it to protect us, our homes, our rights...so to the protesters....KEEP WASTING YOUR TIME, when you could be doing something productive like supporting a solider...Most of America is not even listening to you...Keep up the good work Jay...many millions support you as well as other soldiers.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Zeno Izen said...

There are many many knuckleheads in this story. Cindy Sheehan is definitely one of them. Thing is though, this country is in a precarious position right now. Cindy Sheehan can only do so much damage, and we're about to elect a new president. I'm sure the USA will still be in Iraq for the next few years. ... what am I saying? I express myself so infrequently on this topic that I have tripped over myself in trying to make a simple point. May as well leave it at: I can't wait to see how all of this turns out.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if the usa thought like this during world war two. We would most likely be speaking German right now along with rest of the world. May God bless all those that defend this country. May you all know there are many of us who love and pray for you and your families every night.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jay.... Thank You for your service.

1:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the anonymous writer who said, "If the U.S.A. thought like that during World War II we'd all be speaking German":

Do some research next time you mention World War II. If you did you'd find that the war was won on the Eastern Front, with everything else being a mere sideshow in comparison. While the Soviets were encircling the German Sixth Army and a good part of Fourth Panzer Army in the Stalingrad pocket, the best the U.S. could do against the Nazis was to play a supporting role to the British in an invasion of Vichy French Morocco. While the Soviets were crushing the last German hope of regaining the strategic initiative on the Eastern Front in the Kursk salient, including the largest tank battle in history at Prokhorovka, the best the U.S. could do was to again be assigned a supporting role to the British in the invasion of Sicily. In the summer of '44 when the U.S. and its more skilled ally Britain were struggling to keep and expand a foothold in northern France, finally opening the long-promised "Second Front", the Soviets were crushing the German Army Group Center in Germany's largest loss of units in any one campaign in the war. The fighting on the Eastern Front from 22 June 1941 to 8 May 1945 by far dwarfs all the other fronts in the war. No other country in the world could have suffered what the Soviets suffered and survived let alone come back and won. Could you imagine Chicago being beseiged like Leningrad and holding out for over 900 days until relieved, at some times with the only food, medical supplies etc. coming into the city having to go over the ice of frozen Lake Ladoga in trucks while being bombed from the air, people living on starvation rations, eating sawdust bread and rancid meat, dying in droves and pulling their little dead babies on sleds trough the streets to bury them in the frozen ground, every day shelled, bombed etc. and still hang on for over 900 days until relieved? Hell no. Could you see America suffering literally millions and millions of war dead and many millions more civilian dead and hanging on, to come back and beat their tormentors? Hell no. The Red Army (the Soviets for those who don't know) for most of the time from day one of the Axis invasion faced more than three-fourths of Germany's total combat power and even when Germany had to fight in the West again from mid-1944 to the end of the war the Soviets STILL faced no less than two-thirds of total German combat power. Furthermore, over 80% of Germans killed in World War II died against the Soviets, accounting for vastly more German units destroyed than all the other Allies combined. So to put it in your obnoxiously boorish terms, if it wasn't for the brave peoples of the Soviet Union, we'd all be speaking German.

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S.- World War II and the farce in Iraq have very little in common, unless one wants to compare the Nazi invasion of Poland with the wannabe-Nazi Amerikkkan invasion of Iraq, as neither country was threatening either respective aggressor nation and both the Nazi and the Bushite regimes had painfully obvious ulterior motives for launching their respective aggressions than the "reasons" they spouted to their equally gullible masses.

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Nice blog on article newarticle subject subject subject submission. I also have an interest in article newarticle subject subject subject submission. If you are wanting to find more about article newarticle subject subject subject submission, then I invite you to drop by article newarticle subject subject subject submission

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alot of interesting comments on this blog, I was searching for free article directory related info and some how came across this site. I found it pretty cool, so I bookmarked. I'll really liked the ##TITLE entry, that got my attention.

My site is in a similar niche and some might find it as useful. I have a free article directory related site focusing on ##KEYWORD related topics.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ##NAME##, I find it very refreshing to occasionally find a article such as yours with an unusual topic such as ##TITLE##. It somehow ads to ones list of lifes experiences.

I have a soft spot for blogs related to article authors and /or sites that have a central theme around article authors type items.

Once again, thank you ##NAME##, hope to see more posts from you in the future :-)

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Jay": I am very glad I read your blog. I have been tainted by the media's version of what is going on over there (mostly things that could be considered bad) as well as my own distastes for the atrocities of any war, and your take on our current war was a real eye opener for me. You’re so right about needing to work hard and efficiently to get the job done faster and better. The ideal of personal sacrifice is something our generation seems partly unwilling to bare, a W.W.II vet explained to me once, and it seems to be true with some, clearly not with "Jay". I hope your words will inspire other soldiers to stay focused as even what may be considered goofing off to you, would be putting yourself in harms way, for the to the rest of us common folk (civilians).
The burden a soldier bares to keep us safe is truly amazing and we should never lose gratitude for that. It would be great to live in a world where things such as 9-11 simply do not happen, both at home and abroad. No human beings should have to endure that sort of loss. Perhaps someday we can find a more peaceful and loving world where it is not us against them, enemy verses enemy. Until we can achieve that sort of global bond with our fellow man, rest assured that your unimaginably heavy burden is not going unnoticed or unappreciated, even by an anti-war leaning person such as myself. I think the admiration for our troops is there even when it is not spoken. The whole world is watching a version of what our military is doing, and I hope and pray that we achieve objectives that serve the greater good both for the Iraqi citizens and for the safety of civilians everywhere. I appreciate you “Jay,” and all of your hard working fellow soldiers as well. It is inspiring and amazing to me that there are Americans about our age willing to make such a sacrifice. Don’t lose heart! …now I better go find something amazing and productive to do here at home… - Marie

6:52 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

Hi, It amazes me to find the quality content that can be found on blogs and yours is a perfect example.

I have a free articles site. It's pretty much a free articles related resource.

Come pay us a visit when you get time :-)

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great title. You have a great blog. I was searching for free article directory when I landed here. I've got a similar site related to free article directory you might want to check out.

4:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site you have here, I bookmarked it! I was looking for free article directory or something like it. Very informative.

I have a free article directory related site.

Check it out when you can. ;)

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, isn�t that nice, the wife of the IOC gay phone sex numbers president is hugging the
cox of the British crew. gay phone sex numbers

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

positive thinking phrases Although you can see that the glass is half-empty, you chose to see it in a positive way. It is still half-full, anyway. The absence of half of the volume of water didn�t even bother you. What mattered was that it still contains water. If this is how you answered the question above and how you justified your answer, then you have a positive way of thinking.

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

.com application job site

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

job site trailer

9:07 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Your last post was almost three years ago. I'm not sure how or why I stumbled onto your blog. But, I couldn't help but wonder where you are now. I'm a soldier's wife, maybe that's why. I am praying for you and your family. And I thank God that there are people brave and selfless enough to sacrifice so much for my freedom.

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by counter.bloke.com
Google
http://www.aakz.com/kerry/viewthread.php?tid=6