News from Baghdad

A small spot to describe to a certain extent what it is like for the soldiers here in Iraq. I must remain anonymous as there may be some who would view this as an "official" posting, however, it is not. Just some personal views on the politics and public views in this war that has been to oftentimes tainted by the sensationalism of the media.

Name:
Location: Home, United States

I enjoy my job to the fullest, regardless of the political climate at any particular time. My family and my soldiers are the central focal point of my existence as well as my religious viewpoints.

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

12 October 2004

Hello again everyone. Once again I wish to thank you all for your support and appreciate you reading what little I do have to put out. It warms my heart to read the comments that I have received on most of my posts. In a way, all the "thank you" comments and other encouraging words that I receive are a little taste of what I have to look forward to when I come home. I look forward to seeing my family and friends again and to return to the States to my fellow citizens. Many of the citizens back home, I feel don't really understand what we go through every day, so, hopefully my "life" here will shed some light on things.

Today was a rather interesting day. We had to do a routine (if anything around here can actually be termed as "routine") prisoner transport to Abu Ghraib. For the third time since we have been here, I was able to drive the 5 ton truck up there. I usually get chosen to drive that thing because of my prior experience in transportation, and I don't mind at all. I try to make the worst situations interesting and boy today was interesting. I can tell you there is no bigger rush than doing about 60 mph down a blown up highway towards Fallujah in a 5 ton truck. Typical "Thunder Run" I suppose. It was rather sad though to see the children walking along the highway to school among those sights. It really tears me up sometimes to see the things that I have seen here among the kids, because they had nothing to do with this whole mess. If I could take each and every one of them away from here, I would, without a doubt and without hesitation. In all of this, I can honestly say that I will miss the children here.

Tonight was rather uneventful for us, which is a good thing I suppose, however, the closer we get to the elections the worse things I am sure will become.

It is late again for me, so I shall go to bed. Will post again soon.

10 Comments:

Blogger OP said...

Hang in there and keep up the good work. You guys are making a big, positive difference. You're keeping the barbarians tied down, indeed flowing into, SWA instead of driving truck bombs into suburban shopping malls over here. The media will never get it right as you men know too well.

My military service began at the tail end of the Viet Nam era as an 11C and continued in each of the last four decades as a military policeman, supply weenie, and NBC NCO. I learned very early in my military career that the media never gets anything right when covering our operations. I've been in involved in more than several events in my civilian law enforcement career that resulted in extensive press coverage and the media screwed it up each, and every, time. What I once thought was just stupidity or laziness I now know is intentional.

So don't worry about the media or the leftist talking heads. The overwhelming majority of Americans are 100% behind you and appreciate very much what you guys are going over there. May God Bless you and all who lay it on the line fighting evil.

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon your blog, linked from Hugh Hewitt! Just a note to THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your service and sacrifice for our country. Despite what news you may hear from the leftist wingnuts running for office here, the real down-to-grits people wholeheartedly support and pray for the troops everyday! Just today I attended a local Republican Women's Club meeting and we all expressed our support for W and our troops. We will be sending a big-fat-we-love-you-care package soon!!!
I will be checking on your blog-diary and will pass on the info for friends. It gives us a taste of what life there is really like there and the positiveness and truthfulness you express that the media refuses to explore. (Might hurt their 'ratings' to even think the war may be the right thing to do ;>)
God Bless and a speedy return home. L&M

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings My Friend,

Great blog. Will forward this to all my friends. Can't understand the deal about goats milk. Have tried it before and it wasn't that bad.

Will continue to pray for you and our soldiers in Afghanistan also. Keep up the phenomenal work.

Great love has no man than to lay his life down for another. John 15:13

6:22 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

Well, I for one am happy to hear it was uneventful. And, I would agree, probably the saddest thing to see is the children. What do they understand about adults and their problems? Probably too much in a world like Iraq. But I keep looking for the silver lining. someday, it will be different.

And you were part of it. Thanks again. Looking forward to each post.

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you soldier. Godspeed.

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jay--

Thanks for doing what you do. At 5 mph or 60, we're with you 100 percent.

Now, about that goat's milk...

If you get a chance, read Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence. He tromped all over that bloody country by camel and has lots of helpful hints about what not to drink (and eat).

9:52 AM  
Blogger Pat in NC said...

Jay, Another military blog bookmarked to read frequently
Thank you for taking the time to post what news you can about what is happening. Please tell your guys and gals that we at home hold them in our hearts and prayers.
Thank you is such an inadequate word for all that you do and risk in order to keep us safe at home. Reading the military and Iraqi blogs makes me believe that we are doing what is right and just in God's eyes. The people have suffered for so long and deserve freedom as
much as any in the western world. Take care and keep blogging.

5:23 PM  
Blogger G said...

I did a year in Vietnam as a medic and treated a lot of children. It can be very depressing, but kids are amazingly resilient. If you've never watched the movie "Hope and Glory" check it out. It should make you feel much better.

Keep up the good work, and thanks.

G. Hamid

6:48 PM  
Blogger G said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your first hand news. I'm really enjoying reading it. You are doing a great job over there, and we all thank you for it. I am sad hearing you wish that there had been more troops, that the turnover happened too early, that the locals would help you more. What a challenging situation. I pray that you and our other courageous servicemen will be able to have success in spite of the difficulties you live with. We also need to pray for the Iraqi people to have courage and wisdom to change their old lifestyles for new ones. Other pundits have written about how hard it is for people who have lived under dictatorship to become self-governing and learn to live in responsible, disciplined freedom.

5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by counter.bloke.com
Google
http://www.aakz.com/kerry/viewthread.php?tid=6