News from Baghdad

A small spot to describe to a certain extent what it is like for the soldiers here in Iraq. I must remain anonymous as there may be some who would view this as an "official" posting, however, it is not. Just some personal views on the politics and public views in this war that has been to oftentimes tainted by the sensationalism of the media.

Name:
Location: Home, United States

I enjoy my job to the fullest, regardless of the political climate at any particular time. My family and my soldiers are the central focal point of my existence as well as my religious viewpoints.

Saturday, October 02, 2004

2 October 2004

Well, as I embark upon this quest to shed a little light upon events here in Iraq, from a soldier's point of view, I must inform everybody that I must remain anonymous as there are those who would target me while I am here.

In regards to the September 30th bombing of the treatment plant in which so many were killed, it is an extreme tragedy, however, I do not understand why they constantly blame the US soldiers. We are only trying to do a job here, to the best of our abilities. I find it EXTREMEMLY hard to believe that soldiers coerced children with "loudspeakers" as the media puts it, to hand out candy to the children. Every time I go out on patrol, there is no end in sight to the children crowding around us. If I have things to give out to them, as I enjoy doing, I will do so, however, if I do not, I inform them of this. They cannot seem to take "No" for an answer when we tell them this. They continue to beg for everything from candy, water, pens, whatever.

As a soldier, the mission here is extremely diverse. On any given day I could have to be a diplomat, fighter, ambassador, investigator or a police man. It would be so much easier if I could just go out and "find the bad guys", but that is not the case. The majority of the populace here cannot seem to get it through their heads that this crap will continue to happen as long as they remain silent about the whereabouts and the activities of the insurgents involved in this stuff. They are scared, and they have a right to be. However, they do not understand that I can do absolutely nothing about it as long as they remain silent about it.

In the coming days, during the remainder of my time here, I will attempt to do my best to keep things up to date as much as possible in order to allow you, the reader to make your own conclusions between what I and the media have to say. Form your own opinions, just do me this one favor; regardless of whatever opinion you hold, support your soldiers. While not all soldiers have the greatest intentions, the majority of us are just trying to survive to come home to our families. I respect the opinions of everyone. I have no hatred for anyone regardless of race, creed, sex or religion, for that is what true freedom is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by counter.bloke.com
Google
http://www.aakz.com/kerry/viewthread.php?tid=6